One thing that every lady needs is a work appropriate summery dress. This is mine it is pink with black and white dots.
Today I turn 25! I’m still in Florida on vacation for a couple more days but I’ve left a couple posts scheduled to keep the blog rolling along.
26 thing to do before 26
I’ve seen loads of people do these types of lists and I love lists. So this birthday I decided to set myself some goals to reach before my 26 birthday!
- See the grand canyon.
- Sew an amazing dress (really any dress will do.)
- Finish the crazy quilt I’ve been working on from all my scrap fabrics. (It’s about ¼ finished now.)
- Finish my ‘Interactive Wardrobe’ project. This is something that I have partially finished but haven’t ‘released to the public’. I’d like to get a little more work done before I show anyone.
- Take a road-trip with the curly-haired-boy.
- Teach Ian-Dog some new tricks. Dogs doing cute tricks is one of my favorite things ever.
- Learn to cook one dish from scratch really well.
- Create more art. I’ve got some empty picture frames waiting for some portraits.
- Redesign/Vamp up my blog.
- Create my personal portfolio site
- Make/design more web-pages. (Not more for me, but for some small businesses or other bloggers.)
- Learn PHP (I’ve only got a grasp on the basic functions)
- Make/Sell some cards. I love making cards and invites. I’m not really expecting this to become a business, but if people like them I’ll at least make some PDFs for download.
- Learn to REALLY make chai tea.
- Go to the Science Museum, the local one has some really awesome exhibits come through.
- Take a photography class/learn more about taking photos
- Visit my sister (In Columbus Ohio).
- Read more. (The number of books I have actually read this year is really depressing.)
- Learn to mix a ‘signature cocktail’ something that tastes delicious and I can always have the ingredients to sitting around.
- Shop at the farmers markets. There are so many so close that I just need to DO it.
- Fix my bike’s wheel and RIDE that sucker.
- Take the dog (and boy) down to Bernheim Forest. (They let in pets!)
- Keep Updating THIS BLOG.
- Learn more Spanish. I doubt I will ever be fluent. I don’t think my brain is built that way, but I’d love to be a fairly competent reader.
- I’d love to do a blogger meet up with some of the people I’ve met online.
- Double my high yield savings account. I’ve been saving regularly for most of my working life. And while my account isn’t huge (even doubling it won’t make me ‘rich’) I need to keep my eye on the prize and keep saving. I haven’t even really decided what the money is for yet. But I know I will get a prize when I reach my goal.
Hey guys! Still in Florida on vacation I’ll be back fairly soon but here is a scheduled post of something I had hanging out on my harddrive.
I thrifted this Midi-Skirt a few weeks ago and I’ve been trying to decide if I should hem it. After this wearing I think it would look better at just above my knees. So that is the new plan. Because I love the pleats and the color.
I wore this combo while volunteering at Just Creations. The non-profit fair trade store down the street. Where I also picked up this new necklace and canvas bag.The bag is the perfect size to use as my carry on bag in Florida. There is just enough space inside for my camera, a couple days worth of underwear, a book to read, and my bathing suit just in case my real bag gets lost somewhere.
Shirt: JCrew, Skirt: Thrifted, Necklace & Bag: Just Creations, Sandals: Zappos.com
I’m out of town, down south in Florida soaking up some sun this week smelling that salty air. So I won’t be able to respond to comments for a couple days but I’ll be back soon! (Not to soon though!)
There are a lot of fantastic things about living in the city. Compared to the tiny town where I grew up. Theater is one of them. Curly-haired-boy majored in theatre tech in college (we’ll be rich one day for sures….) and we actually met in the sound booth of our college production of Crimes of the Heart.
From there our love blossomed, until he started dating some other girl (a good friend of mine) for about 2 years before they FINALLY broke it off and I got to make my move.
That is beside the point. LOVE YOU JULIE!
A couple weekends ago we went to see the FREE production of As You Like It. There is a local group that puts on Shakespeare production every year in the Louisville Central park. We took a picnic, loads of theatre friends, and camped out at the Amphitheater for some iambic pentameter fun. I did not take ‘glamor shots’ of our food because I was to busy stuffing my face but I assure you it was much tastier that this pile of tupperware cway suggest..
Perfect Picnic Ingredients
- Sliced Peppers and Cucumbers with humus.
- Celery Sticks and Peanut Butter
- Carrot Sticks
- Tuna Salad with crackers (or bread)
- Apple slices (in pineapple juice to keep them from turning brown it worked really well)
- Dried Papaya
- Picked cucumbers and beets (From my mom because she’s awesome like that)
- Ask friends to bring dessert(brownies) but NOT wine which we almost got in trouble for it because whoops, we don’t know how laws work.
- Loads of good friends
Notes for next time: Sit way closer because people will sit in front of you and you won’t be able to see (duh). Also take more pictures of how cute you looked (becuase OMG you guys I was SO cute!)
I’ve never really seen As You Like It and to be perfectly honest was pretty confused for most of the show. Also we sat to far away and couldn’t hear well, also a heckler sat behind us and proceeded to yell weird things about the ‘Manic Madman Marauder’ through most of the second act.
But still there is something inherently awesome about watching theatre outdoors as the sun fades. Not to get to artsy but it has that feeling of ‘This is how Shakespeare MEANT it to be watched’.
Like in ‘olden times’ Shakespeare wrote for common people, they would see it at the Globe Theatre or performed by traveling acting troupes. Open skys, everyone smushed together, straining to hear over the cicadas, smelly and slightly tipsy. And probably not being scolded by play managers about having open bottles of wine… :P
I generally make a big deal about my birthday because I am pretty much a big deal.
This year we are going to host a scavenger hunt. It was going to be TODAY, but then I realized I didn’t want to throw a party the day before I left for Florida, because that is crazy talk. So we postponed, til August. Here is what the front of the invites will look like when I send them out next week.
Last year we rented a Karaoke Bar, for a couple years before that I split the party with my roommate and we called it the ‘July Birthday Extravaganza’ everyone would put on fancy dresses and go out to have dinner. This year the plan is to host a scavenger/treasure hunt :) I’ll let you know how it goes!
But we are flying down to Florida tomorrow. So for now I’m sure there is packing for me to finish!